Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ernest Miller Hemmingway

“A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”
  • All thinking men are atheists
  • About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
  • All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn.
  • As you get older it is harder to have heroes, but it is sort of necessary.
  • Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.
  • Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth.
  • I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?
  • In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason.
  • My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
  • Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.
  • That terrible mood of depression of whether it's any good or not is what is known as The Artist's Reward.
  • The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
  • The only thing that could spoil a day was people. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself.
  • There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
  • Wars are caused by undefended wealth.
  • Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
  • I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?
  • The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
The Importance of Ernest Hemingway